3. How to Start as an Affiliate Marketer?
Selecting the right affiliate program is the most important thing in affiliate marketing to become a successful affiliate. So pay your attention. This is the second part of this article series. Make sure to read part one of this affiliate marketing beginner’s guide.
First and one of the crucial steps is using a keyword research tool to find best keywords before joining an affiliate program. You can use a keyword tool like Google AdWords Keyword tool or SEOBook keyword tool. Both of these are free to use. If you are unaware of keyword researching just read this guide about performing a keyword research
4. Selecting Profitable Affiliate Programs and Products
Then you have to find several products related to those keywords. (But this is optional if you have the courage to work hard) If you haven’t a desire about what you are selling, you might give-up it soon. So it is better to select something you like such as eBooks, phones, laptops etc. If you are new to affiliate marketing, you might have no idea about this. You can go to following websites and search about best selling products.
- Amazon.com – See best sellers section
- eBay.com – See best sellers section
- Clickbank.com – Check products with higher gravity
Clickbank.com and Commission Junction are two of the most popular affiliate websites. There are thousands of affiliate marketers with millions of different products to choose from. But, it is very important to select a product with following requirements. Otherwise it may be a waste of your invaluable time promoting useless products for almost nothing.
- Check whether the affiliate marketer can be trusted? You may search in Google (“— scam”, “is — paying” etc). Forums are best places to uncover the reality of affiliates. Check whether they already have paid to their partners using an affiliate marketing forum like Digitalpoint forum? Do they have a good reputation as a company?
- Sufficient commissions per sale – If you get about $1-$5 per sale it is not worth trying unless you can make lots of sales. So always look for products with at least $10 or more per sale.
- Good products – You need good and reputed products. It is better if you can try before sell it to others. If it has already have a bad reputation, then avoid them even they pay high commissions.
- Select best selling products (But there are some points to think too!) – If your product is not selling it is worthless. So check at amazon.com and ebay.com.
- Minimum payment and payment methods – Always good to have a low minimum payment and a payment method like PayPal or checks.
- Residual income – If you can have a product like webhosting packages, you have the opportunity of having a long term income from each sale.
If you are still curious about selecting a product, then select one the following one. They have a good reputation and worth to try. Go to one of these sites and join them as an affiliate.
- Hostgator.com – One of largest webhosting company with % sale. You may earn $xx per sale for xx month host.
- Etoro.com – Forex marketing company with up to $200 per sale. Provide very good support for affiliate marketers.
- BarnesandNoble.com – Book selling company. They pay for every product bought by the customer unlike Amazon.
5. Getting Necessary Information about Your Affiliate Program
Once you have selected a certain product then it is necessary to get more details about the product and that affiliate company. This is also very important because each and every company have their own regulations. You have to understand them well. If you have violated their rules they may forfeit all your hard earned money and will ban your account.
First step is signing up at the selected affiliate website. Then read about their frequently asked questions (FAQs), terms of service (TOS), guidelines, etc. Then get the promotional items like links (your affiliate link), banners, and other promotional items.
Now you have done the most important parts. But the hardest and sweetest part is yet to come. Read the third part of this affiliate marketing guide to know how to promote your products.